At a time when the formation and sustenance of our connections with others have become more crucial than ever, Love and Delight offers a selection of works, collected by the Nashers between 1967 and 1986, that trace unexpected links between artworks through the human bonds shared among artists, collectors, dealers, families, friends, spouses, lovers, and admirers.
About Track 9: Love and Delight
From the moment Raymond and Patsy Nasher began collecting sculpture in the late 1960s, they enjoyed living with their art and sharing it with family and friends at their home and with the public at NorthPark Center, which they built in 1965, two years before they acquired the founding work of their sculpture collection, Jean (Hans) Arp’s Torso with Buds. This hospitable vision is one of the most important legacies of the Nasher Sculpture Center’s founders. At a time when the formation and sustenance of our connections with others have become more crucial than ever, “Love and Delight” offers a selection of works, collected by the Nashers between 1967 and 1986, that trace unexpected links between artworks through the human bonds shared among artists, collectors, dealers, families, friends, spouses, lovers, and admirers.
Discover more about sculpture. Find bonus content like video tours, inspiration playlists, and insights from curators, educators, and living artists.
Best of Love and Delight
Bringing together the greatest hits of Track 9: Love and Delight artists and themes.
Overview: History of the Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection
Activity: Nasher Scavenger Hunt
Top recommendations to dig deeper into your favorite artworks and art trends.
Video: Relating to Nation, Relating to Earth: The Ceramics of Isamu Noguchi
Video: Nasher Prize Dialogues: Disembodied Intimacy - Digitally Communicating Art, Caregiving, and Sex
Video: The Nature of Arp Panel Discussion
Suggested resources for families, educators, and the young at heart.
Video: Pack a Picnic Inspired by the Nasher
Activity: Focus on Claes Oldenburg's Clothespin
Teacher Resource: Jean Arp's Torso with Buds
Listen to a music playlist inspired by artworks in Track 9: Love and Delight.
Listen on Spotify
Explore the Collection
- Jean (Hans) Arp, Torso with Buds (Nu aux bourgeons), 1961
- Jean-Michel Basquiat, Untitled, 1985
- Constantin Brancusi, The Kiss (Le Baiser), 1907-09 (case before 1914)
- John Chamberlain, Zaar, 1959
- Raymond Duchamp-Villon, Torso of a Young Man (Le Torse de jeune homme), 1910
- Alberto Giacometti, Small Standing Man (Petit homme debout), c. 1945
- Alberto Giacometti, Small Standing Woman (Petit femme debout), c. 1945
- Nancy Grossman, Untitled, Head Sculpture, 1968
- Jacques Lipchitz, Seated Woman (Femme assise), 1916
- Isamu Noguchi, Gregory (Effigy), 1945 (cast 1969)
- Claes Oldenburg, Clothespin, 1974
- Beverly Pepper, Untitled, 1974
- David Smith, Untitled (Voltri) [For Gian Carlo], 1962
- Andy Warhol, Portrait of Patsy Nasher, 1978