American, born Russia, 1890-1977
Constructed Head No. 2, 1916 (enlargement 1975) Stainless steel, 70 x 54 1/4 x 48 in. (177.8 x 137.8 x 121.9 cm.)
Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection, Dallas, Texas
Constructed Head No. 2 exemplifies the revolutionary approach to sculpture Naum Gabo pioneered in the 1910s as part of the Constructivist movement in Russia. To express the technological ethos of the new century, Gabo drew upon principles of engineering for his light-weight, honeycombed structures. These works open up inner form to light, space, shadows, and reflections, minimizing solidity of mass and surface.
The first two, much smaller versions of this work, made respectively in cardboard and galvanized iron, date from 1916. Gabo always wanted to enlarge the sculpture and was finally able to do so after he moved to the United States following World War II. He produced a total of four large-scale versions. This is the only one in stainless steel.