In addition to more than 10,000 square feet of indoor gallery space, the one and a half-acre sculpture garden will feature settings designed to frame outdoor works. More than 170 trees, including cedar elms, live oaks, crepe myrtles, weeping willows, and magnolias, together with stone pathways, pools, and fountains, define intimate landscapes for quiet reflection and contemplation of works, and create a verdant oasis in downtown Dallas.
Approximately 25 large-scale sculptures from the Nasher Collection are on view in the garden at any one time.
Tending, (Blue) by James Turrell, is the only site-specific work commissioned as part of the sculpture garden. Turrell’s free-standing “skyspace” is situated at the north end of the garden, partially recessed in a landscaped berm.
Garden and Terraces
- 7,680 ft2 of terrace, 2/3rds covered
- Garden and Flora-side terraces linking indoor and outdoor exhibition spaces accommodate approximately 8-12 pieces of sculpture
- Terrace Garden contains 16 grassy stone-capped steps
- Soil mixture in the garden is a three-layer, sports field technology system designed to support heavy sculpture without foundations and to quickly drain heavy rain
- Garden accommodates approximately 30 pieces of sculpture at a time
- Three water features with fountains: one at the cafe and two at the north end of the garden
- Travertine quarried in southern Tuscany
- Garden walls contain 2,999 pieces of Etrusco Travertine with water jet finish, each 2’ x 4’, 190lbs.
- Verde Fontaine (green granite) quarried in South Africa
- Garden paths constructed from 10,835 Verde Fontaine cobbles, with water-jet finish
- Terraces covered in 1,439 green granite Verde Fontaine pavers
Trees and Shrubs
- In the garden: live oak, cedar elm, afghan pine, crepe myrtle, weeping willow, and holly
- On the front facade: burr oak
- Around the building: bamboo
- Around the garden perimeter: magnolia
Garden Elevation Study, Peter Walker & Partners
Garden Model - Aerial View, Peter Walker & Partners
Garden Model Elevation, Peter Walker & Partners
Garden Plan, Peter Walker & Partners
Garden Sketch, Peter Walker & Partners
Garden Study, Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Hepworth's Squares with Two Circles in the Nashers' Garden
Cedar Elm Installation